Another Rambling Post

I need to vent.  I have been working really long hours between the sign shop and my agricultural job.  I’ve been walking 7 miles a day in corn fields for the ag  job and my body is tired. I now have plantar facitis.  Thursday,  I worked 9 hours in the sign shop and went to the other job to put in three more hours.   I was carrying a box into the field (wearing my tennis shoes instead of the regular hiking boots) and tripped on a rock and went flying.  I immediately felt pain in my left rib cage but landed on my hands and knees.  I worked Friday but was in severe pain.  I rested most of the weekend.

When I awoke yesterday,  I couldn’t take a breath without intense pain.  My mom talked me into going to urgent care where they immediately did an ekg. Their machine was  old and the tech had a hard time getting the machine to respond.  She kept pushing on the leads to make it work. The medical assistant came back and said there were suspicious readings and that I should go immediately to the emergency room but I should be ok to drive.  All the way there I’m thinking that no one on either side of my family has heart problems and surely this can’t be a heart attack because I’m driving myself. 

The ER gets me in quickly after I get through the metal detector (I live in a rough city). They do another ekg which takes all of one minute and put me in a room after getting a urine sample.  They then take blood and a chest xray.  They put me back in the room and hook me up to a heart monitor and make me wait 6 hours while the machine beeps the entire time.  My mother insisted on coming up and entertaining me. She said it was
obvious I wasn’t dying since no one was coming to check. 

Next thing I know,  some young student comes in to say he’s putting an IV in and says I’m being admitted.  I’m like,  “Whoa,  hold on there.  I haven’t even talked to a doctor. I need to speak to someone.” I’m completely freaked out because I know that I have a pulled muscle in my rib cage and don’t need to be admitted. 

Before I know it,  the nurse comes in with a shot of muscle relaxer, takes off all the equipment and tells me to get dressed because I’m going home.  I still hadn’t spoken to a doctor. 

The doctor finally comes in and says everything is normal.  She wants me to rest a day.  She tries  to give me pain medication but it’s limited due to the gastric bypass.  I opt for Tylenol and Flexoril and go home. 

I’m just really pissed because this was all so unnecessary.  The worse part is that I’m the safety technician at work where we have over 4000 days without a reportable injury.  Because I went to the doctor and received treatment,  it’s considered a reportable accident and if I report it there will be a big investigation which I’ll have to conduct.  I did tell my boss I fell after it happened but I don’t want to be the one to wreck the record.  I’m such an honest person that this is killing me.  I have a call in to my boss to see how he wants me to proceed.  I feel like this was my fault.  I’m not a litigious person so I’m not going to sue the company.  I just want this all to go away.  I don’t want to lose my job.

None of this has anything to do with staying sober other than in the old days,  nothing would’ve felt better than drowning my pain and sorrow. But I won’t because in two weeks,  I’ll have two years sober. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s